31/10/08

Learn Hindi through Bollywood movie songs - TAARE ZAMEEN PAR (lyrics and translation)

नमस्ते !
We're sorry for posting after so much time but we are fixing some issues. I think a very nice way to learn more about a language is through songs. I'm going to post a few popular Hindi songs and translate them for you from now on.

Let's start with a hit from the beautiful movie Tare Zameen Par by Amir Khan, titled माँ







TAARE ZAMEEN PAR Movie Songs LyricsMaa - Taare Zameen Par LyricsHindi Song Title: Maa - Taare Zameen Par : TAARE ZAMEEN PAR Singer(s): SHANKAR MAHADEVAN Cast(s): Aamir Khan , Tanay Chheda , Darsheel Safary , Tisca Chopra


मैं कभी बतलाता नहीं
पर अंधेरे से डरता हूँ मैं, माँ
यूँ तो मैं दिखलाता नहीं
तेरी परवाह करता हूं मैं माँ
तुझे सब है पता है ना माँ
तुझे सब है पता मेरी माँ
भीड़ में यूँ न छोड़ो मुझे
घर लौट के भी आ न पाऊँ माँ
भेज न इतना दूर मुझको तू
याद भी तुझको आ न पाऊँ माँ
क्या इतना बुरा हूँ मैं माँ
क्या इतना बुरा … मेरी माँ
जब भी कभी पापा मुझे
जो ज़ोर से झूला झूलाते हैं मां
मेरी नज़र ढूंढे तुझे
सोचूँ यहीं तू आ के थमेगी माँ
उनसे मैं यह कहता नहीं
पर मैं सहम जाता हूँ माँ
चेहरे पे आने देता नहीं
दिल ही दिल में घबराता हूँ माँ
तुझे सब है पता है ना माँ
तुझे सब है पता मेरी माँ

Translation by hindiboloblog.blogspot.com
I never show it, but I fear darkness, mom
even though I don’t give it away
I care about you, mom
You know it all, don’t you mom?
You know it all...my mom
 
Don’t leave me like this in the crowd
I won't be even able to come back home, mom
Don’t send me that far
you won't even be able to remember me, mom
Am I so naughty, mom?
Am I so naughty, my mom?
Whenever dad sometimes
swings my swing strongly
my eyes would search for you
I'll think you’ll come here and support me
I don’t tell him,
but I panic, mom,
I don’t let it show on my face
but from the bottom of my heart I am scared
you know it all, don’t you mom?
you know it all, my mom



I hope you liked this song, as you can see, in poetry and songs the language can be used a little more freely and some constructions are sligtly rearranged. Many people will argue that this language has many Urdu borrowings, and this is true, but this is also the language currently used in everyday conversation by Hindi speakers, so this can be regarded as Hindi.

I think that we can also learn some Hindi expressions by looking at these lyrics, for example, in Hindi
I fear darkness is expressed as मैं अंधेरेअंधेरे से डरता हूँसे डरता हूँ
thus, if I want to say that something scares me, I'll have to say that मैं x से डरता हूँ
for example she fears spiders ---> वह वह मकड़ियों से डरती है ।से डरती है
Another expression we see in the song is
मैं तेरी परवाह करता हूँ
which means I care for you, so if we want to say that we care for someone in Hindi, we can use the expression परवाह परवाह करना 
we care for our family---> हम अपनेहम अपने परिवार की परवाह करते हैं । परिवार की परवाह करते हैं
A very common expression is also तुझसब तुझे सब है पताहै , you know everything
In Hindi there are a few ways to say I know, the most common one is पता मुझे पता है ।है
they know who I am---> उनको पताउनको पता है कि मैं कौन हूँ । है कि मैं कौन हूँ

Another typical Hindi expression is याद तुझको आ न पाऊँ
in Hindi किसी को याद आना means to be missed by someone or to be remembered by someone
I'm missing my family a lot ----> (मुझे) मेरा परिवार बहुतमुझे परिवार बहुत याद यादआ रहा है।
This song is also very uselful to notice the use of the personal pronouns in Hindi. The kid refers to his mother in a very intimate way as तू whilst he refers to his father with the third plural person (respectful) as he is scared of him.



है

Nessun commento: